Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Barbecue Pulled Pork

Or, the best darn sandwich you'll ever eat!

I love pulled pork. It's always a toss up when I walk into a BBQ joint: pulled pork or brisket. I usually go for the brisket because pulled pork is something I can, and do, make at home. And you can too because it's just about the easiest darn thing you'll ever make.

I made a big pot of this yesterday. We're smack in the middle of hurricane country and supplies are low due to hurricane Ike. Luckily our power wasn't out for long and none of our food spoiled. But we have been going through our supplies and I didn't have a few things - like onions and garlic - that I would normally put into this dish. I didn't even miss them though. This was the best batch of pulled pork I've ever made, so I'm thinking simple is the way to go.

Ingredients

1 3-4 lb Pork Butt (Bone-In or boneless whatever you can find)
1 cup Barbecue Sauce - your favorite recipe or bottle
1 can Coca Cola
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Season pork liberally with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in crockpot. Spread one cup of barbecue sauce on top of pork just to coat. Pour entire can of Coke into the crockpot. Not directly over the pork, just around the sides.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Remove pork from crockpot - it should be falling apart. Remove fat and bone from pork. Shred remaining meat with a fork.

At this point I drain all of the liquid out of the crockpot and into a bowl. I separate the good stuff from the oil with a turkey baster. Just suck out the liquid in the bottom of the bowl; what's left on top is fat and can be discarded. If you don't mind the grease, then just leave it be.

Return the shredded meat to the crockpot with just enough of the reserved liquid to barely cover the meat. Continue cooking on low for 30 minutes.

I would usually serve this on Kaiser rolls with pickles and a side of cole slaw and maybe some sweet potato fries. Yum! Of course, due to our limited kitchen supplies this week, I only served it with the rolls and pickles and regular roasted potatoes. But it was still delicious. And EASY! You can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so making this! (even with 2 vegetarians in the house). Thanks, Meg. Who knew you were so Martha????

Maureen