Monday, September 8, 2008

Asian Noodles

I should preface this recipe by saying that I am not of Asian descent and I don't pretend to be an expert of their complex cuisines. In fact, Asian cuisine is one that I love, but that tends to elude me once I get in the kitchen. This recipe would probably make any REAL Asian chef scoff. And then double over in laughter. This is my take on an Asian Noodle dish. It's not Lo Mein, unfortunately, and it's not trying to be.

What I love about this dish is that it's so versatile and, other than the noodles and sauce, every ingredient is optional. Don't have peppers? Use carrots. Don't like chicken? Leave it out. This dish is very unfussy and is good warm or cold. I like it best served cold the next day.

Asian Chicken Noodles

1 lb Spaghetti
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 lb cooked chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 c broccoli florets, chopped
1 sm onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 c peanuts, chopped


Sauce
.5 c soy sauce
.5 c brown sugar
2 TBSP sesame oil
.25 c vegetable oil
.5 tsp garlic
.5 tsp crushed red pepper

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Saute onions, garlic, peppers and broccoli until tender. Add peanuts, saute and additional 1 minute. Add chicken to skillet mixture, stir.

For Sauce:
In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce and brown sugar. Slowly drizzle in sesame oil and vegetable oil while whisking constantly. Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper.

Add sauce to skillet mixture, toss with pasta and serve warm or cold.

No comments: