Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sending it out into the Universe

This recipe has been like a monkey on my back for the past 2 years. I found this on a message board a few years ago and tested a few versions at home before *finally* making it for a gathering with friends. And then I made it for another party with that same group of friends. And yet another.

Since then, it is generally accepted that this is the only dish I know how to make. And it's not, obviously, it's just that this is so good! It's easy to throw together, it travels well, it's great for Sunday Football, or hanging out on a Friday night. It's like Buffalo Wings but without the messy hands and the bones. I craved this towards the end of my pregnancy and would make a batch on Sunday and bring it to work for lunch throughout the week. With celery for my gestating baby, of course.

Now, I send this dish out into the universe and I don't want it back! It's our dish now. Mine, yours, the guy who is reading this in Lithuania; all of ours! Go forth and make this dip for your next party and then report back with the results.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

1.5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, 1/3 fat - softened
1 cup hot sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
1 cup Ranch dressing
2 cups roasted boneless chicken breast - shredded or diced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (sharp)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and hot pepper sauce until well blended.

Mix in the Ranch dressing, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm with Frito's Scoops and celery.


The original recipe also called for 8 ounces of Bleu Cheese crumbles. I didn't like the taste of the bleu cheese in here so I skip it. You can add it in if you're feeling French.

Also, this can be mixed right in the crockpot and cooked on the low setting for a few hours before serving. Make sure you give it a stir every once in a while or it will burn around the edges. I usually make it as directed above and then transfer it to the crockpot.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I just saved it into my little "recipe" folder on my pc. That stuff is good, Meg- haters be damned!

Lori said...

We each bleu cheese crumbles in our home like m&m's... i'm gonna try the original recipe sometime... it sounds too good!!!

Basco said...

Meg,

How do you cook your chicken for this recipe? Do you just use chicken breast?

I boiled a whole chicken, removed the skin, saven the broth for stock, and shredded up the whoole thing....but I was looking for a quick and easy alternative.

Thanks!!

Sarah

Meg said...

The original recipe calls for canned chicken (bleh!). I usually season and bake 2-3 chicken breasts and shred them. Or, I'll buy a roasted rotisserie chicken and use the meat from that.

Basco said...

Thanks Meg, We think alike! I was planning on buying a rotisserie chicken as well when I'm in a hurry.

Canned chicken, bleck! I use that stuff once in a while, but i don't think it would do this dip justice! :)

sir jorge said...

not bad